I'm an experienced player, home studio owner, producer and singer songwriter. Over the 50 years I've been seriously engaged with these activities, I've played a wide variety of guitars and I own a variety of acoustics that cost me anywhere from $80 to $4,000. Guitars strike me as a personal choice, I'm not sure what I can say that will help anyone decide, but I can tell you why the Algonquin 12 works for me.
1) It works for my voice. I can sing what I've previously written and it will effortlessly support my voice. The only other acoustic guitar that I have that works as well is a six-string Goodall that cost me $4,000, used.
2) It inspires me to write. When I play it, I find a wide variety of intriguing sounds that lead me in new directions and because it supports my voice, I'm able to easily follow up on what I'm hearing by singing against this new palette.
3) It records extremely well. Acoustic guitars can be difficult - either too "boomy" or lacking in body. This guitar makes it easy. Again, the only other guitar I have in this category is the Goodall.
4) It's easy to play. It has a clear voice, stays in tune, has easy action and is way less temperamental that the other 12 strings I've owned or played. I'm so used to working harder on an acoustic 12 string, particularly on the Martin 12 string this instrument replaced, that it took me a couple of minutes to find my bearings.
5) I can stop looking for a new 12-string. About 45 years or so ago I played a Martin 12 string that I couldn't afford, the memory of which became the yardstick against which all other 12 strings have been measured. With the Algonquin 12 I've finally put that ghost to rest. To everyone who made this possible, please accept my sincere thanks.
One more thing - John was wonderful to work with when the shipping company mangled my well packed guitar. Guitars are personal and hard to recommend, but good service is easy. I've never had someone on the other end of the phone show the level of care and respect for my emotional well-being as John did. If you are worried about after sales service, I can ease your mind on that count.